If your question is not here, please contact us. We are happy to help.
What are the library hours?
What are the library hours?
Library is open:
Monday – Thursday: 7:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
During semester breaks and national holidays the library may have different hours.
Can I use a computer?
Students, faculty, staff and community members are all welcome to use the library facilities. This includes the computers and library materials.
Patrons need to purchase a print value card if they need to print.
How do I check out materials from the library?
All patrons need a library card to check out materials. To get a card, fill out a simple form and show photo ID.
Community members (those patrons who are not current students, faculty, or staff) may also get a library card. Community members fill out a simple form, show photo ID, and provide a social security number.
What is the loan period for library materials?
Books and DVDs: 4 weeks (28 days) with the possibility of one additional 4-week renewal. Some sections of the collection (popular reading and child care) cannot be renewed. If an item is on hold for another person, the item cannot be renewed.
Some materials may have special loan periods. See Circulation Policies for more information.
Can I return library materials to either campus library?
Yes. Library materials can be returned at either the Chester or Midlothian libraries.
Both libraries also provide a book drop outside the building.
How many books can I check out at a time?
Students may check out up to 30 items.
Community members may check out 15 items.
How do I renew a book?
During normal library hours patrons may renew books in person or by telephone.
Chester Circulation Desk: 804-706-5195
Midlothian iDesk: 804-594-1519
Books may also be renewed online through My Account in the catalog.
To renew online, sign into the My Account section of the catalog with your myTyler username and password. The items you have borrowed will be shown. Click on the items you wish to renew. If it is possible to renew, a RENEW link will appear. Click this to renew. You will be returned to the list of checked out items with the new due date.
If you are having difficulty accessing your account, please call the library. We are happy to assist you in renewing your materials.
Can I get a book from a different library?
Yes. Library staff can help you in multiple ways to get the right book.
- Campus Transfer
Library materials can be requested for delivery at either campus. Allow 1-2 business days.
- Find book in catalog.
- Click on TITLE of book for more information.
- Click on LOCATION (at the bottom of the page.)
- Click on REQUEST THIS BOOK.
- Enter your myTyler information. Click GO.
- Check campus—Chester or Midlothian? Click GO.
- Library Staff will email when book arrives.
RALC Borrowing Pass—Students, faculty and staff ONLY
Need a book from VCU, UR or another local academic library? Ask at any library service desk for a RALC pass. This pass allows students to check out up to five books from their collection.
- Interlibrary Loan—Students, faculty and staff ONLY
Items can also be requested through Interlibrary Loan. Materials can take up to two weeks to arrive, so please plan accordingly. Library staff will place the ILL request for patrons—please ask.
Why should I use the library databases? Google always gets me what I need.
- Quality Control. Editors, fact-checkers and even highly trained EXPERTS have approved the database articles before publication. Some are peer reviewed by experts in the field. This is not some 7th grader’s science project. Take that, Google!
- Organization. Library resources are organized by format (book, article, DVD) and categorized by topic by real people. Half the work is done for you!
- Depth. Databases cover topics in detail. Peer-reviewed articles are serious scholarship written by experts, which are then reviewed by more experts before publication. When you use smart sources in your paper, you look smart too.
- Free with your tuition. Not everything is free on the internet….and many high-quality articles can be viewed for a price. Why not check the library? The library may have already purchased access to this article….and many more besides.
- Easy citations. Ever tried to find an author’s name on a web page? Databases make easy to find the source. Databases often have tools to help prepare your citations…cut and paste, anyone?
- Always available. 24/7, on or off campus.
- Help. We can help you over the phone, in person, or through the Ask a Librarian service. Librarians LOVE research—let us help you!
This list is adapted from Mark Herring’s “10 Reasons Why the Internet Is No Substitute for a Library,” which originally appeared in American Libraries, April 2001, p. 76–78.
How do I access library databases from off-campus?
Use your myTyler username for remote access to library databases. Details here.
Can community members use library databases?
Yes, community members can use library databases in the library. To use the resources remotely off campus, you must be a current student or faculty member of John Tyler.
Does the library have a fax machine?
No. The library does not have a fax machine for student use.
Library staff can help you scan and email a document, if that will work for your situation.
How much does printing cost?
Pages are $0.05 each, but a print value card must be purchased first. Details here.
Does the library have a photocopier for public use?
Yes. Both campus libraries have photocopiers available. The copiers accept the same print value cards used on the printers, and can copy in color. Details here.
Can I reserve a study room?
No. Study rooms are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Both campus libraries have study tables as well as study rooms available. Please note that the Midlothian library gives preference to groups of two or more people. Individuals may be asked to relocate or share a room.
What is myTyler?
MyTyler is your JTCC student username and password. MyTyler is also the same as the first part of your college e-mail address. MyTyler is used for logging into the online resources, placing a hold on a book, and your webmail access.
If you do not know your username, find out how to locate your username here.
If you have not already created your password, forgotten it, or need to change it, please visit the page on changing your myTyler password.
Can I bring my laptop?
Yes. Wi-Fi is available in both campus libraries for both students and guests. Students use their myTyler login for access; guests may request a 24 hour login at the service desk.