Find and Borrow Materials
The online library catalog is the tool for finding books, DVDs, audiobooks, and eBooks. Here patrons can view, reserve and renew materials online. The catalog includes materials from both the Midlothian and Chester Libraries.
- Search the catalog with a keyword, an author, or a title.
- Click on the title of the book for more information.
- Need more help? Try the tutorial: Video
Check out a book
A library card is required to check out books and headphones and to reserve items. The loan period for most items is four weeks, with one renewal.
Books checked out at one campus library may be returned to the other campus library. Both campuses also have an outdoor book drop.
Patrons can check their library record through the My Account link in the online catalog. Use your myTyler login to access your information. Through My Account, patrons can check on holds, renew books and update their library record.
Patrons need a library card to borrow books, DVDs and headphones.
Library cards are free. To register, complete an application form at the Midlothian or Chester Campus, and present a photo ID. Cardholders are responsible all items borrowed with their card.
A $1.00 fee is charged for a replacement card. Lost or stolen cards must be reported to the Library.
Library materials can be requested for delivery at either campus. Generally this takes 1-2 business days.
- Find book in catalog.
- Click on TITLE of book for more information.
- Click on LOCATION (at the bottom of the page.)
- Click on REQUEST THIS ITEM.
- Enter your myTyler information. Click GO.
- Check campus—Chester or Midlothian?
- Library Staff will email when book arrives.
Bibliographies are an essential part of academic research. Citing articles in a bibliography or a Works Cited page is not just a requirement for a grade; it adds credibility to your arguments.
- Leave time. Preparing a bibliography can take longer than you expect.
- Track as you go. Copies of articles, notes from books, and emails of articles from the library databases will help.
- Use tools. The library databases and the library catalog offer citation tools. Look for a CITE THIS or CITE ME link.
- WARNING: The computer generated citations are not always correct. Library staff recommends checking your citations against the information on the Owl at Purdue site.
- Need formatting help? Try these:
- Ask us! Library staff are happy to assist you.
Other Libraries and Catalogs
Neighboring academic libraries often allow students to explore their collections.
These materials may be obtained through Interlibrary Loan or with a RALC pass. Ask a librarian for assistance.
Local public libraries:
Appomattox Regional Library
Chesterfield County Public Library
Colonial Heights Public Library
County of Henrico Public Library
Petersburg Public Library
Richmond Public Library
Access multiple library catalogs through the following links:
LibDex: Worldwide listing of library web sites and catalogs.
Library of Virginia: State Library of Virginia, open to the public.
Richmond Area Library Consortium (RALC) Union Catalog: Cooperative association of eleven Richmond/Petersburg area academic libraries.
Virtual Library of Virginia (VIVA): Libraries of the public universities, colleges, and community colleges in Virginia.
Virginia Community Colleges Library Catalogs: Search all Virginia’s community colleges catalogs at once.
John Tyler Community College Library
Chester Reference Desk: 804-706-5198
Midlothian Reference Desk: 804-594-1520